Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)

How can I safely dispose of unneeded prescription medications?

Thanks to a partnership with CVS, we are able to provide a prescription medicine drop box in the Sheriff's Office lobby, located at 222 West Washington Street in Nashville. The drop box is accessible Monday - Friday 8am to 5pm. 

Accepted Items:

Over-the-counter medications
Prescription medications
Medication samples
Medications for household pets

NOT Accepted:

Needles or other “sharps”
Hazardous waste
Hydrogen Peroxide
Medicated lotions or ointments

How do I obtain a firearm purchase permit or a concealed carry permit?

The Nash County Sheriff's Office issues all concealed carry permits according to North Carolina General Statute.  Information regarding pistol purchase permits or concealed carry permits can be found HERE.

How do I file a domestic violence protection order against someone?

The process to obtain a restraining order or domestic violence protection order can be confusing.  Employees at the domestic violence shelter known as 'My Sister's House', are well versed in the process.  You can contact them in order to have them assist you and walk you through the process of obtaining a domestic violence protection order.  They can be reached at 252-459-3094.

I received a traffic citation but I have forgotten my court date or court location. How can I found out when and where I am supposed to go to court?

Court Calendars can be found online.  On this site, you can search by your name to find out when and where you are scheduled to be in court.

I was involved in a vehicle accident. How do I go about getting a copy of the accident report? 

Under North Carolina law, Sheriff's Office's typically do not investigate vehicle accidents.  Depending on where your accident occurred, will depend on what agency you need to contact to get a copy of the accident report.  If your accident occurred within the city limits of any town or city, then you would need to contact the Police Department for that town or city, as they most likely would have been the investigating agency.  If your accident occurred outside of the town or city limits, in the unincorporated parts of the county, then more than likely, the North Carolina State Highway Patrol would have investigated your accident.  You can get copies of reports from the North Carolina Highway Patrol HERE.

How do I go about complimenting a Nash County Sheriff's Office employee or filing a complaint against a Nash County Sheriff's Office employee?

The Nash County Sheriff's Office is committed to building relationships with the citizens and visitors of Nash County and our communities.  As such, in an effort to increase transparency and accountability, we welcome your compliments or complaints regarding employee performance and their representation of this agency.  Compliments or complaints can generally be directed to the on-duty supervisor.  Members of the public are welcome to visit the Sheriff's Office, or call our non-emergency number at 252-459-4121, and ask to speak to the on-duty supervisor. Citizens may also email their compliments or complaints to Major Eddie Moore with all of the details of the encounter.